The Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Service (ELCAS) scheme is in place to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. Under the scheme, members of the military can receive financial support to contribute towards their higher level learning. This can help with the progression of a military career, or with moving to a new career upon leaving the Forces.
At Distance Learning College and Training (DLC), we offer a number of accredited courses which are eligible for applications through ELCAS, including courses on Management, Logistics and Transport, Supply Chain Management, Human Resources and Accountancy.
We understand that finding the next step in your career may seem daunting, so we are here to ensure that applying for an ELCAS course is as clear and straight-forward as possible. Read on below to find out more about how ELCAS funding works.
Acquiring your Enhanced Learning Credits
All service personnel are automatically enrolled for Enhanced Learning Credits. The value of these credits depends on the length of your time in service, and the maximum number of credits you can earn is three.
There are two distinct tiers for ELC funding, which depend on the length of your service. Enhanced Learning Credits on the lower tier will be worth £1,000 per year, while the upper tier will be worth £2,000 per year.
Many members of the Armed Forces begin planning their post-military career a number of years prior to leaving the military, so even if you aren’t planning on leaving just yet, it could be a good idea to start finding out more about ELCAS.
A good starting point is to begin evaluating the best career path for your skill set, and having a look at the courses available to help you progress down that route. Our expert Course Advisors, many of whom have military backgrounds themselves, are here to help guide you towards the career path which is best for you.
Using your Enhanced Learning Credits
To be eligible for credit payments, you must have served for a minimum of six years. Credits will cover 80% of the fees required to take one of the eligible courses, up to a maximum of £2,000. You will therefore only need to pay for the remaining 20% of the cost of the course.
You can only use one of your credits per financial year, so it’s a good idea to try and plan out the most effective way to spend them. For instance, you might want to start with a Level 3 course in an area you are interested in, and then use your next credit to build up to the next level. Alternatively, you may prefer to enrol in a number of different courses to broaden your skills, so you can apply for a variety of different roles.
Applying for ELCAS funding with Distance Learning College
To find out more about the courses available at Distance Learning College, take a look at our ELCAS courses page.
If you are interested in using your Enhanced Learning Credits to study with us, the best next step is to speak to one of our Course Advisors. They will be able to guide you on the type of course which will best suit your skills and career goals, as well as guiding you through every step of the application process. You can get in touch with our team directly via our website, or phone us for a chat on freephone 0808 2504 150.